ROTARY CLUB OF MADRAS COROMANDEL - CLUB HISTORY
Sometime in the month of July 1988, an idea of extending Rotary activities, through a new Rotary Club for the benefit of the East Coast Community covering Adyar, Besant Nagar, Thiruvanmiyur and Southern outskirts of Madras City emanated from Rtn. PP. Krishnan V. Chari of Meenambakkam Club while strolling on the Silver Sands of Besant Nagar. The then Dist. Governor, Rtn. PHF. V. Chidambaram, who approved the idea and proposed the name for the new Club as ‘ROTARY CLUB OF MADRAS COROMANDEL’ and nominated Rtn. A.N. Veerappan as his Special Representative for the new Club. Rtn. A.N. Veerappan identified twenty five members from various professions and prepared necessary papers within three months for the issue of the Charter. The provisional Rotary Club of Madras Coromandel was thus inaugurated on 23rd October 1988 by Rtn. PHF. PDG Dr.Sundaraman with Rtn. T.R.Krishnaswamy from Meenambakkam Club as its Charter President.
Rtn. T. R. Krishnaswamy was the Charter President of the club.
· The Club commenced its regular weekly meeting at the Adyar Cultural Academy on Sundays at 8.30 a.m
· The club was admitted into Rotary International by the issue of its Charter on 23rd February, 1989, 23 February being the date on which the First Rotary Club was started in 1905 by the Founder Paul Harris, which is still remembered in his honour as the “World Understanding and Peace Day”
· A souvenir to commemorate the occasion was released and also the new Club’s first ever bulletin, “Conch”, was published.
Rtn. Lt. Gen.C.Sundara Rao (Retd.) took over as President on 2nd July, 1989
· The Club raised about Rs.35,000/- by staging a Tamil Drama and conducting a workshop ‘Be +ve; why not we? On Human Resources Development
· Our first ‘Interact’ Club was started at St.John’s Senior Secondary School at Besant Nagar
· Another notable achievement was the establishment of a Charitable trust.
Rtn.T.N. Sundaram was installed as President for the Rotary Year 1990-91.
· A light music programme, organized by Chairman Fund Raising Committee Rtn. N. Subramanian, fetched a net amount of Rs.28000/-
· Yet another Interact Club was inaugurated during 1990 – 91 under the able guidance of director Youth service Rtn.R. Sankaranarayanan who also organized a RYLA Camp for the youth
· Polio Immunisation and Health Check up at St. Thomas Mount was arranged by Director Community Service Rtn. N. Ramesh Reddy
· Rtn. PP.Lt.Gen.C. Sundara Rao PVSM (Retd.) was appointed as a Governor’s Group Representative (GGR) for 1990-91.
· Rtn. T. R. Krishnaswamy became the first Paul Harris Fellow of our Club.
Rtn.S. Viswanathan was installed as the President of the club for the Rotary Year 1991-92.
· Makeup diary comprising of clubs in India and Nepal was released. Such a directory was perhaps made for the first time in the district. In recognition of this Dist. Governor made Annet Sabarivasan who did this stupendous task, a PHF
· Conch weekender was introduced for the first time and a joint meeting with Rotary Club of Kanchipuram was held on 28th July ‘91
· The 3rd Interact club was inaugurated at the St. Louis Institute for the deaf and blind for the first time in the District
· Pradhan Gaurav-a club service project to honour the past presidents and PDGs was conducted on 29th September at Vijaya Rani Mahal. It was the most talked about event of the district at that time
· For the Sake of Honour Award was presented for the first time in the club and Kavingar Subbu Arumugam was honoured on 8th March ‘92
· As many as 20 new members joined the club during the year but 11 left bringing the strength to 34 at the end of the year.
Rtn. R. Rajagopal was installed as president on July 5th 1992
· Two Rotary information programmes were conducted
· 100 Sarees and 10 chairs were donated to “Vishranthi” – a home for the aged
· The club contributed US $ 10,500 to Rotary Foundation. Ten PHFs and Three PHSMs were added this year. The club’s Contribution to the Rotary Foundation was the second highest in the Dist.3230
· Mr.S.N. Anand – a candidate for GSE team donated Rs 1.00 lakh to the club trust and he was made a PHF by the club responding to his extraordinary generosity
· The 6th Tamil Nadu State Games for the blind was co-sponspored by our club. This project was televised by Doordarshan and received wide publicity in the press
· The club received the presidential citation for the year’s programmes and was awarded “merit certificate” for the international service
· Pres. R. Rajagopal received the “Distinguished Service Award “ for the cause of Rotary
· Two special certificates were given to our club by Rtn William T.Sergant, Trustee for the best contribution to Rotary Foundation
· Pres. Rajagopal was made as the Chairman - Fellowship of the District for the year 93-94
Rtn. R.S. Durai Raj was installed as president on July 4, 1993.
· Inter school talent competition was conducted on August 22, 1993 at Bharatiya Vidhya Bhavan
· In Vettuvankeni village, a class room was added to the panchayat school at a cost of Rs.1.Lakh. It was opened by Mr. Justice S. Pratap Singh
Rtn. PHF N. Subramanian became our youngest president in 94-95.
· Our fund raising program for our project at Avvai Home through an appeal by President drew instant response from our members. Noted among them were Rtn Mahadevan, Rtn. Uttam, Rtn.Ramachandran, Rtn. Hari Ramesh, Rtn. Ganesh, PP Rtn.Rajagopal and PP.T.R. Krishnamurthy (who had donated an Air-conditioner for the project) and president Subbu himself.
· PP.Gen Sundara Rao presented Rotary information at our regular meetings.
Rtn. Dr. K. Ananda Kannan became the president of the club for the year 1995-96.
· His dynamic activities included Health Check-up at Urur Olcott Kuppam and Avvai Home in which each individual got personal attention from the Doctors, which was highly appreciated
· Rotary club at GIRM was started
Rtn. M. Uttam Chand took over as the president of the club for the year 1996-1997.
· His activities included provision of a safe drinking water Tank for the Primary School at Avvai Home
· RCC was inaugurated by PDG Dr. M. Natarajan
· Career Guidance seminar was conducted for the students of St. John’s School.
Rtn. R. Sankaranarayanan took over as the president of the club for the year 1997-1998.
· A Rotaract Club was installed at Dr. MGR Janaki college
· A Leprosy detection Camp was organized
· Health Checkup & Tree planting was conducted at Govt. Ophthalmic Hospital.
Rtn. H.N. Pandu Ranga Rao became the eleventh president of the club for the year 1998-1999.
· Affectionately called Polio Pandu, he has successfully conducted all the national immunization camps for the eradication of polio, the dreadful disease, in the Okkiam Thorapakkam area over the years
· With the help of funds raised through cracker sales, a Basketball court was constructed for the benefit of the students at Avvai Home
· Vocational Excellence Awards were given to Dr. Yasodha Shanmugasundaram, Vice-Chancellor of the Mother Theresa Women’s University and Mr.V. Madhavaraj, IPS who had served commendably in the investigation of the Coimbatore bomb blast case.
· He initiated and obtained, the first matching grant to build 40 toilet blocks in the Govt High School Okkiyam Thoraipakkam
Rtn.Dr. Hari Ramesh took over as the President of the club for the year 1999-2000.
· Launched Karna Vidya - a programme of reading to visually handicapped students from various colleges. It soon became the flagship programme of our club.
· Organised camp for cataract surgery and IOL implantation and provision of spectacles
· Conducted Interschool Quiz programme, where students from 8 schools participated
· For the Sake of Honour Award was presented to cartoonist Keshav
· The club received three awards – Best Bulletin Award, All Round Performance Award and Polio Plus Award - from the district.
Rtn.R. Ravi took over as the president of the club for the year 2000-01.
· Conducted a sports event – “SPORTS CARNIVAL 2000” for handicapped students with the active involvement of Rotaractors of GIRM
· For the Sake of Honour Award was presented to Sri. S.K. Nagarajan, co-founder Clarke School.
Rtn. Prof. Dr. Rajamohan was installed as the Fourteenth President of the club for the year 2001-02
· He started the rotary year straightway by presenting a cheque for Rs.10,000 to the Rotary Foundation.
· He received the “Outstanding Professional Award” from the American Psychological Institute, Inc., USA
· A mental health camp was organized at Anna Nagar on 22nd July, 2001
· Rotary Community Corps(RCC) was inaugurated on 15th August, 2001 at Shastri Nagar
· Vocational training in screen printing was provided for two students along with stipend
· Professional Excellence Awards were presented to Dr. M.G.R. Medical University’s Dr.K. Thangarajan, the South Indian famed journalist and the founder of United Writers’ Association and Mr.T. Devanathan, the MD of Win TV.
Rtn. S. Ramanathan was installed as the 15th President of the club for the Rotary year 2002-2003.
· He is a 3rd Generation “Rotary President”- a rare phenomenon in the Rotary Movement
· Membership shot up to 49 from 39
· The Members with their families for the first time went for an outstation family fellowship and spent two days at the cool and green environs of Top Slip Wild Life Sanctuary
· On Vocational Service the club sent two boys from the Narikkuravar Community on an experimental basis to Thadikombu Bee keepers Society to learn the skills of bee keeping on scientific basis and provided beehive boxes to utilize the skills of the nomadic community to tap an untapped resource available in plenty in nature
· On International Service the club signed a sister club agreement with RC Colombo Regal (R.I. District 3220) in the presence of R.I. President Rtn. Bichai Rattakul at Colombo on 16th August, 2002. It was the first official sister Club agreement signed by RCMC during its history and the agreement was for a period of 5 years
· “For the Sake of Honour Award” was conferred on Dr. Vijaya Bharathi Rangaraj-Executive Director of Sundaram Medical Foundation
· Vocational Excellence Award was given to Dr.Mrs. Nalini Rangarajan – Principal National Public School and the recipient of presidential Award for the best Teacher during that year.
Rtn. Ganesan Raja was installed as the Sixteenth President of our club
· An Annet’s club was inaugurated on that day
· An Interact Club was installed in that school an addition of our club’s list of interact clubs
· A computer was presented to the School , thanks to the efforts the then DGE.Rtn. Benjamin Cherian
· Under the Auspices of our Prestigious Karna Vidya Project, three of the Visually Handicapped Students were operated upon and their vision restored (after 22 years in Darkness)
· A library for the Blind students was started at a donated place (thanks to Rtn.PP. Ravi) in Gandhi Nagar, Adyar
· In recognition of their Service to the cause of the Blind students of Karna Vidya, Ann. Shyla Viswanathan and Ann. Shashikala Subramaniam were honoured by presenting them with Vocational Excellence Award for the year 2003-04.
· For the Sake of Honour Awards were given to Dr.S.P. Thiagarajan, Vice Chancellor of Madras University and to Mr. M. Chandrasekaran, a great Violinist.
Rtn R Narayanan was installed as the seventeenth president on July 4, 2004 at Hotel Residency Towers.
· To commemorate the centennial year of Rotary, a Charitable trust was formed in the name “RCMC CENTENNIAL CHARITABLE TRUST” & the trust raised more than Rs 4 lacs during the year.
· The club renovated the Okkiyam Thoraipakkam Primary School by constructing a compound wall & urinals for the children.
· Members distributed 375 kg of rice, clothes and other essentials to Urur Olcott Kuppam residents affected by the Tsunami.
· The Karna Vidya library was equipped with a computer system to facilitate Braille printing.
· Medical equipments were donated to Primary Health centre at Okkiyam Thoraipakkam
Rtn K Kalyanasundaram was installed as the President of RCMC
· Golden Melodies – A musical extravaganza with leading singers S.Janaki & P B Sreenivas, was organized with the help of green Rtn OS Arun & the club raised Rs 3 lacs to support Karna Vidya
· PP Rtn R Ravi donated Rs 1 lac towards the software for the visually challenged.
· PARALLEL MUSIC FEST – The first ever music festival for the differently abled was held at the Music Academy Mini Hall on Dec 8th 2005. The objective of the fest is to provide a platform for the differently abled to showcase their talents
· To raise funds for other projects, the club organized a one day seminar on “Service management” for corporate executives.
· The Vocational Excellence award was given to renowned nephrologists Dr.Rajan Ravichandran.
Rtn PHF N Srinivasan was installed as the nineteenth president on 9th July 2006.
· Polio Rehabilitation Program – Tricycles were distributed to Physically challenged people
· A new club, Rotary Club of Chennai Coastal was sponsored by Rtn N S Balamukundan as its charter president
· Braille Printer was installed at Karna Vidya centre with the donation of US$ 5000 by the Rotary club of Providenciale, Turks & Caicos islands, Dist 7020
· 5 PHFs and 1 multiple PHF contributed to the TRF.
· 8 new members joined the club
- Community service development award for Water management
- Environment & International service award
- Presidential Citation
- Membership development & extension award by RI president
Rtn P. Sankaran was installed as the twentieth President on 8th July 2007
· Corpus registered an increase on Rs 1.5 lacs
· Rs 8 lacs spent on projects
· Polio Immunization done for 27,000 children covering 8 villages, alongwith PHS okkiyam Thoraipakkam
· In August 2007, a unit each of solar powered water purifier, costing Rs 5 lacs, gifted by a Dutch NGO was installed at Avvai Home & Primary School at Okkiyam Thoraipakkam
· 5 computers gifted by HCL were installed at Karna Vidya library
· Parallel Music Fest was conducted in a grand manner . The Hindu, Sun TV & SS Music gave good coverage for the event
· Slippers were given to 586 students of the Okkiyam Thoraipakkam Boys School.
· Project Selvi – To empower girl students, several girls from Avvai Home & Corporation School at Kamaraj Avenue, Adyar were trained in English & computers
· Rtn G. Balasubrahmanyan became the first major donor of the club
· District Awards – Water project, Karna Vidya, Parallel Music Fest & Youth activities
Rtn PHF RM. Arunachalam was installed as President on June 29th 2008.
· Fr.Jageth Gasper was conferred with For the Sake of Honor award
· Outbound fellowship to Yelagiri was arranged on 24 & 25 Jan.
· 3 computers donated to RASA, an NGO
· Joint meeting of 18 clubs, wherein “The dabbawallas” of Mumbai was represented by their Association CEO Dr.Pawan Agarwal. He was given the Vocational Excellence Award
· Self defence training for MGR Janaki college Rotaractors was conducted
· Rtn Freddy donated 27 steel racks to the school at Okkiyam Thoraipakkam at a cost of Rs 40000 and Rtn PP Pandu donated a siren to the school
· Rtn Sridhar donated a pair of crutches and Rs 2500 for the Govt college of physiotherapy
· A water storage facility was installed in the Govt school, Okkiyam Thoraipakkam at a cost of Rs70000
· Our members donated Rs 25000 towards Bihar Flood relief fund
· Corpus enhanced by Rs 6 lacs, thanks to generous contributions from members which was matched by Rtn. Ravi.
· 6 PHFs added
· AWARDS District awards for Special Projects, Contribution to Rotary Foundation, and Comunnity Service. Club received Presidential Citation.
Rtn P Thangamuthu was installed as President on July 5, 2009.
· Major donor Rtn Bala donated Rs 5 lacs for Project Blossom
· RCMC was bequeathed a will to have title to the proceeds from the sale of a property worth Rs 18 lakhs at Adyar by Mrs.Shantha Subramanian, a classical musician, after her time.
· Fund raiser – a tamil play staged by S.Ve Shekar & Rs 3 lacs raised
· Karna Vidya volunteers were honoured in the 10th Anniversary celebrations of Karna Vidya
· RCMC contributed US$ 5550 to the Rotary Foundation
· Vocational Excellence award given to Dr.V Viswanathan, a renowned Neurologist
· A Dist Mini grant of US$ 2000 was received for Project Health Awareness
· Rtn PP Subbu joined the srilanka delegation of the district and renwed the sister club arrangement with the Rotary club of Colombo Regal.
· RCMC participated actively in all District events
A book – “Neighbourhood Health guide” by Dr. Chandrasekharan, translated into Tamil titled “Eliya maruthuvakrippukal” was released.
· Rtn. G. Balasubrahmanyan was selected as the District Associate Chairman for International Service and member of the GSE Committee
· Club hosted 5 GSE members from England and South Africa, including both team leaders and participated in the coordination of their site and vocational visits.
· 2 students on Semester-at-Sea programme were hosted.
· Rtn PP Srinivasan will be AG & Rtn PP Pandu will be Dist Associate Chairman Polio for the year 2010-11
· Club was given the Platinum Award as one of the top clubs for performance. Awards incuded RI citation, DG’s recognition of meritorious service done by Rtn. PP Subbu for District Assembly, organization of Project Snegidhi by First Lady Sudha, Recognition of Major Donor Rtn. Bala’s contribution to Project Blossom and Recognition of Club magazine CONCH.
Rtn.C.Perkinian was installed as the 23rd President of RCMC on the 20th June 2010.
Six New members joined during the year.
An outbound fellowship to Topslip was organized in July.
A fund raising programe, Evergreen Melodies organized during this year netted about Rs.3 Lakhs.
An awareness rally to create Road Safety in association with Neurotrauma Society of India was held at the Marina Beach.
A coastal clean up prog. in association with Chennai Trekking Club was organized to clean the Beach from Marina to Injambakkam
Maya Changu- a film to create awareness on child abuse and how to avoid them, directed and produced by Rtn.Jeevenandham of our club, in association with Nalamdana was distributed to all schools thru Nehru Yuva Kendra, and to all clubs in the Dist.3230.
Vocational Excellence Award was conferred on Sri.K.V.Anand, a renowned Cinematographer /Director.
Donated towards a Refrigerator for RASA., towards Medical Camp to BRTHYA and towards sports goods to TURNING POINT EDUCATIONAL TRUST.
· Contributed to all District sponsored projects, like Destitute Rehabilitation, Schools into Smiles, project Mottukal and Udhaya and towards Dist. Fund raising project Mayakkum Malai for polio eradication.
· “Distinguished Differently Abled Artist Award” was instituted and the first one was conferred on Sri.M.Chandrasekharan, a visually challenged violinist, at the Parallel Music Festival 2010-11.
· Vocational training for interactors of Govt. Higher Secondary School, Okkiam thoaipakkam is being organized in Gurukul Institute at two centres, near Marakkanam and Uthiramerur.
· Five GSE team members and 6 Semester @Sea students were hosted by members of our club. The Club arranged a site visit to Ford Motors for the teams and volunteered a vocational visit for the GSE teams.
· Annet Ajay Narayanan won the unique distinction of joining the Semester-at-Sea students on their voyage to Chennai and hosted a reception for them in our Club. Participated in Two Inter city Meetings , one with TRF.Chair Rtn.Carl Wilham Stenhammer and one with RI President, Rtn.Ray Klinginsmith.
· 5 PHFs were added.
· Rtn. N.Srinivasan became a Major Donor by donating US$ 10000/-. A total of US$16350/- was donated to TRF this year. Infant Shreya Sandilya (3 months), granddaughter of Rtn. PP PHF S. Ramanathan, became the youngest PHF of the Club, perhaps, of the District as well.
· For the first time RCMC took up a stall at the district conference Kurinji and all the projects of RCMC were highlighted to the delegates and guests.
· Our annet Nikil Suresh, Junior State Champion, was honoured at the district conference as one of the achievers in Table Tennis.
- One of the Top 20 Clubs
- Bronze Award in New Generation.
- Appreciation for Parallel Music Fest.
- Community Service Health Award for AIDS Awareness- First
- International Service Award for Sponsoring and Hosting Semester At Sea- First
- Community Service Health Award for New outstanding project- First
- Community Service Development Award- Go Green Initiative- First
- Club Service Award for weekly Meetings- Second.
- Club Service Award for Annettes Club- Second.
- Rotary Foundation Award for per capita- Second
- Presidential Citation with Distinction.